View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh888 View Post
Hi guys ,

I was able to compare my newly recapped D79B w/ KT88's and Telefunken 12ax7 input tubes to a REF75 in my system consisting of the VPI HR-X w/ Fatboy unipivot 12", Benz Micro Gullwing SLR ,ARC REF Phono 2 SE and REF 40 Anniv line stage & Duntech C5000 Princess. Although the REF 75 gave more musical information and were more extended in the high frequency the D79B had more meat in the bone in the mids ,had a more powerful midbass and was more powerful /robust sounding probably because of the immense power supply and large power transformer . Both amps had tight bass. The mids of both amps were to die for .Now the question is will I sell my D79B to get a REF 75 since the price of both amps when preowned are similar (here in our country), I think I wont . hoping I can post a picture but I dont know how.

tdh888
Interesting, I would question whether the Tele 12AX7's contributed heavily to the fact that you heard 'more meat on the bones' with the older amp....this would not surprise me. You may need to consider the fact that the D79B is more difficult to bias than the Ref 75...otherwise if you are happy with the older amp, why not just keep it?