View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 AM

I would not remotely consider an installation that did not employ a whole house surge protector between the light pole and transfer switch. Massive power surges are real. What happens when one hits your pole and you lose power if you have a generator?

I lost power the other day right out of the blue. Generator came on and I went up and listened to my system. Pool kept filtering. TV's worked perfectly. Not only are they peace of mind (which is huge), they are very practical.

However, depending on the noise floor of your system, it is not an installation to be taken lightly. I frankly was amazed at the difference between the normal installation and the codes required installation.

I didn't pay until it passed codes which took about 4 months. Generator worked perfectly through those 4 months. Also, meticulous maintenance is required costing between 500 to 1000 yearly.

IMO a generator can create more problems than solve if the installation is not perfect and not meticulously maintained. Always at minimum have codes inspection and ask if possible for an inspector that does nothing but generators. I really like my generator.

Best

Charles