View Single Post
Old 06-10-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_hifi View Post
Interesting explanation, thanks. It would be interesting to understand if this is true whatever material is used for the platter or if some materials will damped that bottom of the vinyl reflection/coloration more than others?

My understanding is that an acrylic platter, especially a high-mass one, will tend to mate well with a vinyl record and damp vibrations, especially if a clamp or weight is used. It will also be less subject to external vibration. My experience is that, with a high-mass acrylic platter, coupling the vinyl directly to the platter is very effective.

On the other hand, a lighter metallic platter will have a greater tendency to ring and transmit external vibration to the vinyl, may also reflect vibration from the vinyl/stylus back to the stylus, and therefore may benefit more from a good mat that can provide some damping effect. There are a variety of materials that work well in this case, including rubber, felt, cork, paper, carbon fiber, and various combinations. Also there will be a greater tendency for slippage between the record and platter with metal and other very hard surfaces (e.g. Rega ceramic platters). The one truism for me is that felt sucks[emoji41] - after that, I don't think there's any one simple answer or best mat, it can depend on the mat material and construction, the table and platter, and your taste.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2