View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 11:26 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio bill View Post
Grounding schemes with analog setups can sometimes be difficult, there are no hard and fast rules which consistently apply. Turntable grounds can simply be the tonearm's ground or in some cases include a ground to the table's bearing housing. Most likely the ground wire you're referring to would be to the tonearm and I'd suggest initially connecting it to the PS-10 phono preamp and listen for any detectable hum. If there's none you should be good to go, but if you still have some hum you could experiment by adding another ground wire between the PS-10 and the PSU-10 power supply. Listen for any audible hum to see if there's more or less to determine which scheme is the quietest. Some setups have the least hum with a 'floating ground' with the wire unconnected, so if you're having hum issues you can try that as well. I see you have a VPI and sometimes they don't require a separate ground wire connection. It's not an exact science. Good luck and hope I was able to help.
This is a very good explanation about something that should be better documented. It acknowledges ambiguities, given the huge variety of situations that can arise in any given setup. The learning never ends! Thanks Bill
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable