Thread: DIY Bass Traps
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 10:14 AM

Default DIY Bass Traps

Decided to go the DIY route for a few bass traps on my back wall and a few absorbers for the side wall of my listening room. I bought the Knauf 2" thick 3lb rated insulation from GIK Acoustics and made my own frames from 3/4" baltic birch plywood and 1/8" masonite. The BB ply frame is sized the same as the insulation which is 2' x 4' in this case and the frame is 1.5" deep so that there is a 1.5" air gap between the back of the insulation and the wall. Their are two layers if insulation making a total depth of 5.5" which puts it in the ballpark of the 244 traps from GIK. I went the DIY route because one of the panels needed to be a specific size to fit on a closet door, and I have all the tools and know how to make them. The side wall panels will be only one layer deep for a total depth of 3.5". My fabric should arrive this afternoon on UPS so I will post more pics when I get them covered.

Updated pics of the side wall absorbers flanking the GIK wood diffusor, along with a closeup of the Gilford of Main Fabric I chose.

Last edited by SL1800; 11-03-2017 at 10:27 PM.