View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
After I added a 2nd F113 to my system, I decided to focus on upgrading the source end of my system. After selling my 2010 Mac Pro, I was using a very old Mac Mini I had laying around and it sounded great (or so I thought). I now have a brand new 2012 Mac Mini with 2.6 Quad Core i7. I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and installed an SSD so there are no moving parts (both from OWC). My music library is organized by iTunes and resides on a NAS, in another part of the house, connected by GigE.

Here are my interests:
1. I'd like to use Audirvana Plus as my player (integrated with iTunes)
2. I'd like to use Direct Mode (Integer Mode workaround on Audirvana)

My problem:
I currently have a Wyred4Sound Dac2, which has been great. Unfortunately, its driver does not support Integer or Direct Mode. I've emailed Clint about it and they said they'd look into it, but no updates promised.

Potential solutions:
I've been looking at asynchronous USB to SPDIF converters that are compatible with Integer Mode. In particular, I was considering the Audiophilleo and the EE/geek in me is impressed by their measured jitter reduction and I'm also interested in the PurePower (battery) option.

At the same time, I don't want to have to invest in more devices that would clutter a pretty simple system. Also, part of my interest in changing the hardware is so that I can compare/test the features of the software (Direct Mode).

I know a lot of people use USB to SPDIF converters with the W4S DAC2, so I presume there is a sonic benefit beyond the Asynchronous USB implementation of the DAC2 alone.

I didn't really expect to hear much of a difference when I changed the hardware, but I did. I also have experienced some significant differences between player versions (all beta), so I don't discount the effect the player/source can have on the overall sound of the system.

After a lot of research, the PS Audio PWD Mk II appears to be a great potential solution (that is within my budget). Because I'm dedicated to my Mac music server, I considered a Firewire Weiss DAC. I've also considered Berkeley along with a number of DACs that are popular with computer audiophiles.

Has anyone compared the PS Audio PWD Mk II directly to the W4S DAC2? Also, is anyone who is using a PWD with Audirvana Plus comment on the effect of enabling Direct Mode?

Thanks.
I've compared the PWD MK II to the BenchMark DAC1 and it was a nice improvement. I'm using the PWD with a Mac Mini and Pure Music and the combination is also great.