View Single Post
Old 01-21-2023, 07:12 PM

Dear all,
I am wondering if anyone can help me troubleshoot a problem that just suddenly appeared in my system. I have a Dennis Had LP-2 preamp feeding a Decware Torii MK3, which until about an hour ago, was making glorious and truly magical music. This combo was dead silent; I could turn the gain all the way up on the LP-2 and the volume all the way up on the Torii with no music playing, and I could put my ear inches from my speakers and not hear even a whisper. Suddenly, a hum started coming out of the mid/woofer on my speakers. The loudness of the hum is independent of the gain on the LP-2, but it increases as I turn up the volume on the Torii. The hum becomes audible when the Torii’s volume pot is at around 10 o’clock and gets louder and louder as I increase the volume, even if the gain pot on the LP-2 is turned all the way down. If I flip the input switch on the Torii to the other inputs (to which nothing is connected), there is no hum, even if I turn the volume pot all the way up, so it seems to be somehow related to an interaction between the LP-2 and the Torii. This is most frustrating, as it occurred with no warning, and I can’t figure out what is causing it or how to make it stop.
I would be very grateful for any thoughts/suggestions.
Thanks so much,
Chris