View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 07:12 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
It’s a great review Stephen. I have the previous version (Katalyst) and have thought about upgrading, but since I use a preamp and Roon, I just can’t bring myself (yet[emoji41]) to pay for the knob, the ADC, the pins, and all the other preamp functions that I would have no use for - all that bling and those functions going to waste.
Right there with ya, Tony.

It's really a superb-sounding DAC, and its really handy that it has an Ethernet port for making connection directly to a network to function as a streamer, etc.

You know, what I'm most surprised by is that it doesn't have a "slot" for adding an internal SSD drive. Then, it could function as a true server/streamer/DAC. And a fabulous one at that. But all the other stuff you mention, e.g. the knob, ADC, the pins, preamp functions, etc. are features and functions that I personally have no use for, either. Other folks MMV, of course.

BTW, it also has an optical SFP port, but I could never figure out how to get it to work using an optical transceiver in the SFP port. If I did, I could have by-passed the EtherREGEN entirely and run an optical fiber cable from my music server directly to it via OM-1 fiber.

The fact it has...no frickin' manual () did not help with with that, either.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 11-26-2021 at 07:14 PM.