View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 10:04 PM

Thanks for all the insights. I thought I ‘d share the feedback I received from Richard at Shunyata Research tech support who was very gracious with his time in specking with me. Most or all of his advice dove tails with others on the forum. In summary, use dedicated circuits using 10g wire in the same the phase of the panel or use sub panel if needed. Install a whole house surge protector as an option or consider if the power company offers a surge suppressor installed at the meter base, mine does not. Make all runs as close to the exact same length as much as possible and stair step any excess wire vs coiling any extra wire in the wall or something. I can’t remember if he suggested running the separate lines apart from each other or not or by how much, however I do seem to remember hearing that somewhere. Use quality AC receptacles. Use quality power cords with the best you have on the amp, but all components will benefit from a better power cord. If you have a mixed bag, then dedicate the best to the amp. He indicated that the sound system is a whole unit due to other connections (speaker RCA, XLR, etc.) so which receptacle you choose for each component shouldn’t matter as long as the previous steps are taken. We didn’t speak much on conditioners, etc., as we both agreed one step at a time would be a good plan and those can be considered down the road.
Additionally, he didn’t have much praise for added grounding schemes beyond standard panel grounding. He also reaffirmed the widely accepted advise that it is good practice to keep power cables away from signal cables as much as possible and cross at 90deg when possible not parallel. I also asked about using one dedicated line for 4 plugs / 2 receptacles and he indicated that it would be a minimal compromise if pig tailing is done properly. He said he would send me a picture of a 4-gang done properly.
He didn’t rank the importance of the steps I summarized, but my takeaway would be, receptacles and power cords as top priority and dedicated line a close second. I could be completely wrong on that.

Last edited by torxx; 11-22-2019 at 10:07 PM. Reason: update