Thread: JBL-m9500
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2023, 11:36 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Here is Siegfried's Funeral March from the newly reissued box set (3 LPs) "Klemperer Conducts Wagner" on Warner Classics (5419757987). It's nice to have this music on new clean Lps. Recorded with my phone in my listening room.

As the final piece in Wagner's epic Ring Cycle, Götterdämmerung (Ragnorak) is a depiction of the burning, flooding, and renewal of the world. It's gravitas music meant for volume, and I use it to assess my room’s acoustic integrity while listening for congestion or distortion.

Wagner’s orchestration for Siegfried's Funeral March in Götterdämmerung includes: three tenor trombones, one bass trombone, four Wagner tubas, one contrabass tuba, three trumpets, one bass trumpet, and four horns. There are also 2 harps - in my room, in the full face of it all, the harps come through. What you will hear depends on your playback -- phones and laptop speakers won't give you the experience.

Let's just call this what it is: power music. Some say Klemperer is the greatest Wagner conductor yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iok5nJ0JKHQ