View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxman38 View Post
Thanks for the info. My dealer who sells both the VPI and the Clearaudio said that the VPI tonearm has been a problem lately. Very finicky. Has complaints from customers. I'll probably stay w/the Satisfy arm. I'll be using the Dynavector 20 XL 2L off my Linn. Is the Dynavector a good match w/the Satisfy arm. The preamp I'll be using is my Luxman CL 38U SE w/a Bryston 2.5 SST2 amp and a pair of Aerial 5T's.
The Satisfy arm should be excellent too, though I've not tried one - I'd trust any Clearaudio with rigid bearings. I couldn't stand their all-magnetic Clarify arm; really unstable and uber-sensitive to footfalls. Looks like they've fortunately dumped that Clarify from the packages, in favor of the Satisfy/Tracer choice

I don't have experience with that combo but at least on the surface the Dyna 20 XL and Satisfy looks like a nice package. Should be a fine match for mass & compliance, plus 2 quality products where neither outclasses the other. The 20 XL was the first cartridge I heard (at a friend's, with a P75 MK I phono stage) which started me thinking about vinyl. Nice experience! Sounds like a really sweet system you have there.

Personally I wouldn't want anything to do with a VPI unipivot arm. I remember feeling the "wobble" on one of these 10 years ago, and it gave me the willies. Plus I've been hearing the various complaints about these arms for years, too. At least they do have a gimbal offering now.