View Single Post
Old 04-02-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury999 View Post
@SCAudiophile-
This post is so helpful! I own the Legacy Aeris speakers and would love to know how you positioned them vs. the Valors. Any differences in toe-in, distance apart and from front wall?
Thank you...others have added some great content as well.

If you look up userID "Zephyr24069" on Agon and find my virtual systems page, scroll down towards the bottom and you'll find a number of pictures of my old systems in some big, decent spaces and some other rooms that had their challenges. Oldest setup picture(s) started with Focus 20/20, then Focus HD, then Focus SE, later AERIS, then a brief ~2 year detour with the amazing TAD R1 Mk2's then back to a true full-range Legacy speaker line with Caliber XDs (custom built) and dual foundations and currently VALOR.

You'll see in every setup, room dimension and layout dependent of course, all my speaker setups have always worked best with plenty of room from the back and side walls. In all cases there's a minimum 2-3 feet to the back of the speaker and at least 2 feet from the side walls (more when the room is wider) at a minimum. When the rooms have afforded it, including with the R1s, I found 3-4 feet out to the back of speaker and again at least 2-3 feet from the side walls (more when I could setup the system on the long walls) afforded the big Legacy drivers (and R1 speakers too) plenty of room to breath and develop not only the best imaging in the mids on up but also the fastest and most accurate bass.

This has been true with all passive models (before Xilica 4080 and now Wavelet from AERIS forward) and as much or more so with Wavelet.

I spend as much time positioning speakers for best imaging and playback as if they were regular passive speakers, even if they are room corrected by Wavelet. That not innovative, just plain common sense. The same holds true for toe-in.

All Legacy speakers I've owned seem to have the best 3D playback, depth, precision (of imaging) and far left and right sound-staging with moderate to more toe-in (room size and seating position dependent of course). The general technique I used was to find the center of the tweeter module (on AERIS it's the center of the plate between the tweeter and the super-tweeter) and toe the speaker in to aim it such that the direct line converged 12-24" (room size dependent, how much room is behind seating position, etc...) behind the listening position at ear level. With minor tweaks it never varied from this.

VALOR is the exception due to the lateral mounting and 3-driver tweater array. You've got the concentric driver (low/mid-tweeter if you will) and 2 4" supertweeter modules, the latter 2 have 1 that fires toward the listener and the other fires more outward into the room. For best dispersion/later imaging as well as best depth plus 3D into the room, I find very shallow toe-in is best and may even try none in one of these days though I think a couple single degrees of toe-in will still be needed.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 04-03-2022 at 10:19 AM.