View Single Post
Old 07-24-2023, 08:03 PM

I recently completed the second step in replacing my Gryphon Diablo 300 with a Luxman M-10X amp and a Grandioso C1X solo preamp. Prior to buying the C1X solo, I had installed three positively reviewed solid state/tube preamp loaners in the solo's price range. Results were positive but not so much as I’d hoped for. After speaking with Craig and my dealer (thanks, guys!) and seeing the Stereophile review of the solo’s big brother, the C1X, I decided to take a chance. To sum up, for my music (classical and jazz), in my system, to my ears, this is an outstanding preamp! Dynamics and bass, which were Diablo strong points, are here with this amp/pre combo. But the additional refinement, soundstage precision and dimensionality (especially depth), and lack of treble glare set the solo apart. There have been a number of goosebump inducing moments with this pre, and, surprisingly, I have re-discovered and enjoyed a number of older, previously painful-to-hear recordings that I'd relegated to the archives.

Perhaps worth noting: My source is an Esoteric K-01XD SACD Player, and there are synergies here. These units are connected with XLR links, but shortly after installation I decided to configure the units to exploit Esoteric’s proprietary ES-Link Analog protocol via the XLR physical links. The sonic result seemed slightly positive, but certainly not definitive as I was early in the break-in process when I made the change. I have not revisited this. A second point: Both Esoterics can be conveniently controlled via the Player’s remote. And finally, pictures don't do this thing full justice; it is beautiful!

Last edited by GSOphile; 07-26-2023 at 02:49 PM. Reason: accuracy