View Single Post
Old 06-05-2022, 01:06 PM

Default M3 as a server questions

I am not sure I have the correct terms here. I tried using the M3 as a server (not streaming) using a cheap router with an HDD attached for storage and a laptop hosting JRiver.

I had the same setup as recommended for the M5 Network Player. Like this:
https://www.bricasti.com/en/consumer/network.php

Router was cheap and the Ethernet cables were standard, not high-end. The HDD was connected via the USB cable that came with it. Damon said cables do not matter.

The results were much inferior to the M3 used as a DAC connected to my music server or CD player. I was hoping to replace my old music server with the M3 set up like the M5 diagram. Damon says that is what Bricasti uses at shows.

But I don't get it. I see the setup and anticipate noise everywhere. I see mega-buck servers claiming a lot of technology dedicated to reducing noise and the theory but not the extreme expense makes sense to me.

Did I do something wrong? This was just a trial and I was prepared to replace the HDD with an NAS drive. I was also prepared to purchase audiophile cables. But that does not get rid of the router or laptop and inherent noise.

I would happily purchase another music server to use with the M3 if I could find a good one produced in the USA from a company with staying power. There just aren't any.

Is anyone using the M3 or M5 in the setup recommended on the M5 setup page? Results? Tips?