View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 05:58 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I hit my first speed bump with the Psvanes. Playing some '60s tunes from the compilation Rock 'n Roll Relix, put out by Polygram in 1996, the sound was bright enough to be somewhat annoying. I turned it down a little and it was okay. True, material from that era is often bright to begin with, but if a tube can render such things more listenable I'm all for it.

What I might do, after the Psvanes get their 30 hours (15:23 currently), is put the JJs back in and play the same material. Other than this one potential hiccup, the Psvanes have been quite good.
This is now official. After the Psvanes I will put the JJs back in and see what I think. If they don't come across as bright on the same material (I doubt they will, but we need to be sure), then they're my primary tube going forward, for as long as I keep the 2300. They were in the 2300 long enough for me to get used to their sound and become my reference. I might still buy the Psvanes from rnrmf1971 though, because they are good (brightness complaint notwithstanding). Perhaps I need to try a greater variety of material going forward, though, because until Rock 'n Roll Relix, I had nothing to complain about with the Psvanes.

The trick will be finding/making time to sit and listen, as opposed to playing background music while I cook or do other things.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks