View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 04:32 PM

Arrow The Journey Has Started

My VK-52SE was packed up and shipped off to Wilmington, Delaware today for an update to VK-53SE status. I have inserted temporarily in her place my VK-42SE, and she fired up just fine. The quality, fit and finish, and feel are the same as the VK-52SE.

The VK-42Se has not been used for at least four years (in fact, I never listened to her at all in the main rig) because the VK-52SE was just that compelling that I could not bear to swap her out. I am the second owner and I do not know how long the VK-42SE sat unused in the hands of the first one.

Right out of the box, my first impression is that the VK-42Se is cold and needs some warm up time before I can issue a dispositive comparison. However, comparing my solid state preamp to her tubed sister, it seems that the sibilants are a tad rounded off, there is slightly less dynamic range, the sound is flatter with less detail and less musicality, i.e., it is not as engaging. The soundstages appears to be roughly equal between the two preamps. Imaging is also roughly equal. Please understand that overall, the VK-42Se is one of the better solid state preamps I have ever listened to and my preliminary comments are points of comparison between two members of the same family. I will update my thoughts as the VK-42SE warms up, and I will leave her on for a couple of days to stabilize fully.

I asked Geoff Poor if there is a similar upgrade path for the VK-42SE and was told that one does not exist as the architecture for the VK-43SE is highly dissimilar and would not be cost effective to upgrade. He advised selling the VK-42SE and buying a new VK-43SE. I do not have another piggy bank to break open just yet so I hold off for now.

Geoff also advised that there is a very long break in period for the VK-53SE.

I have communicated both by email and telephone with Geoff Poor and the man is a total gentleman, responsive, and extremely helpful. I cannot say enough good things about BAT and Geoff.