View Single Post
Old 12-18-2021, 03:00 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
My perspective is consistent with Geinrich Altschuler, who developed TRIZ* (Theory of Inventive Problem-Solving). Specifically, that working towards Altschuler's "Concept of Ideality"✝︎ which is the simpler and less complex a "solution" can be, the better. Less potential for failure modes, and concomitantly, less susceptibility of "control factors" to noise factors, which in this case, are any factors that induce variation or shift the functional response off-target, or both. Thus, the less the impact on control factors by "noise factors", the better the functionality.

When I used to teach Design for Six Sigma a coupla years ago, an important concept was..."It's all about the...transfer function."

The more simply a design can mediate the transfer function, the better.

Rega's overall "less is more" design philosophy is very much in concordance with the concept of Ideality. BTW, Linn is very familiar with this design philosophy as well, with their classic "Simply better" tagline. Those guys know their engineering.

Just some philosophical musings for a Friday.

*– TRIZ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIZ

✝︎– Ideality: shorturl.at/nCOV9
Makes sense - reminds me of some Quality courses I took back in the day, including one taught by W. Edwards Deming. Simplifying as much as possible is critical in so many arenas.

After seeing these and the first links you posted, I'm kind of tempted to do the plinth just to find out what I can hear, and to be able to articulate what the differences, are. Got a music box mechanism on its way, and playing with it like you guys have done is a great way to understand better what I'm hearing when something doesn't seem right.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable