View Single Post
Old 12-17-2021, 02:23 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80B View Post
May be worth doing it, if only to find out if I can hear a difference in the office and the cost of fabricating the slab remnant isn't ridiculous. The reason for a plinth is aesthetic (and the damn slab was so expensive my wife thought we should keep the cutout made for the cooktop), and my speaker placement-to-listening-position setup is suboptimal enough that if there is a sonic difference it may not matter. Thanks for the feedback.
My perspective is consistent with Geinrich Altschuler, who developed TRIZ* (Theory of Inventive Problem-Solving). Specifically, that working towards Altschuler's "Concept of Ideality"✝︎ which is the simpler and less complex a "solution" can be, the better. Less potential for failure modes, and concomitantly, less susceptibility of "control factors" to noise factors, which in this case, are any factors that induce variation or shift the functional response off-target, or both. Thus, the less the impact on control factors by "noise factors", the better the functionality.

When I used to teach Design for Six Sigma a coupla years ago, an important concept was..."It's all about the...transfer function."

The more simply a design can mediate the transfer function, the better.

Rega's overall "less is more" design philosophy is very much in concordance with the concept of Ideality. BTW, Linn is very familiar with this design philosophy as well, with their classic "Simply better" tagline. Those guys know their engineering.

Just some philosophical musings for a Friday.

*– TRIZ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIZ

✝︎– Ideality: shorturl.at/nCOV9
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-17-2021 at 02:27 PM.