View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 06:27 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
The #1 Isolation Bases in the World use Granite, along with many other materials & patents.

https://avisolation.com/product/m3x2...base/#features

There are many reasons why these Isolation Bases, and Racks are found at every high end Show, and the most demanding systems Globally.

Full disclosure: I own 8 HRS Rack Systems, and I am also an HRS Platinum Dealer.
The HRS products are superb. In the interest of accuracy (and physics) and for the sake of the discussion, the difference between an HRS base that utilizes granite as part of its composition, and a solid piece of granite (which will ring, just put a music box mech on it and turn the crank) is that the HRS base is comprised of several different layers of materials to provide constrained layer damping.

As such, these aren't the same supports, they have very different compositions, and they will have a very different response to imparted power or vibration. So, respectfully, in the interests of accuracy, we're comparing apples and oranges here.

I use the HRS Nimbus spacers and couplers, and they work very well under components that are minimally internally damped. In fact, I put a set under the Constellation Inspiration integrated a couple days ago, and Wowsa!

80B, certainly you should decide for yourself which platform sounds the best. If I may, I'd like to suggest an experiment for your consideration:

Get one of those IKEA Aptitlig bamboo cutting boards; the ones with three layers that has the bamboo running horizontally in the top and bottom layers and vertically in the middle layer. They're only 20 bucks. These work very well as a platform for a TT.

shorturl.at/mJR05

Place it on four Herbie's Tenderfoot footers; these are only $15/each.
shorturl.at/iqKY8

Put your sweet P6 on it, give it a good listen, then place your P6, on your granite base, give it a good listen, and see what you prefer.

Oh, and you can measure imparted vibration by getting the iPhone app, Vibsensor. Just place your phone on it and will measure imparted power RMS, as well as other metrics. Shown here is imparted power, RMS measured by VibSensor measuring vibration imparted by a small, homemade "slide hammer" on my rack shelf that my Schiit Gungnir DAC was resting on. Green curve is the stock Gungnir feet, red trace is the Tenderfoot, and blue are the A/V Roomservice EVPs, which work the best, but cost $90/each, and for that price, you could get the IsoAcoustics Zazen and save 140 bucks. Data plotted in JMP 15.

Another app I use for just a visual check on vibration on a rack shelf, component, speaker, speaker stand or platform, is Hamm Seismometer, also for the iPhone (free, BTW).

If you do these experiments, please let us know what you find out.

Speaking of HRS, I'm hoping to get an HRS rack in at some point for review at TAS.

Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 12-08-2021 at 07:11 PM.