View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 09:49 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yep..."low mass and stiff" are the Rega design principles their TTs are based on.

Cheers.

An easy way to determine how a material behaves it to get one of those little "bare" music box mechanisms; they're only a coupla bucks. Place it on different materials, turn the handle, and you can hear first-hand just how loud various materials or "dampers", isolators, etc., will "ring" or resonate.

Norm Varney of A/V Solutions has a great YT video demonstrating that. At one point, he puts the music box mech on a granite-cabinet speaker. It's pretty darn loud...

You can check it out here:
https://youtu.be/6G4HF6wJG38

I also made a little video, too, based on Norm's video.
https://youtu.be/-b1Vzxl7-to
Watched both videos and did not see granite used anywhere. The sub was described as "lined in & out with borosilicate" (glass) and the small speaker was ferro-concrete with the second vid using MDF of some sort.

I use granite shelves in my rack and under my speakers. The isolation between the granite and the shelf is a layer of anti-vibration rubber (purchased from Ivan a couple of years ago) and the isolation feet that came on the gear with the exception of my TT, under with I have Iso-Acoustic vibration pads.

I've noticed no ringing from the use of granite shelves and would not hesitate to use under a Rega to see what your ears tell you. Of all TTs, the Rega, as has been noted, is likely "the" TT which you do not want to mess with their feet in any way as are such a big design feature for the TT. But, setting the Rega on the granite may or may not work well. I would put some sort of isolation between the granite and whatever it is sitting on. Try it and see and let us know your results.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag