View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
The Westinghouse which I like was made by Westinghouse (not one of their relabeled issues) in the 1960s. It has yellow text, is taller than a normal 6SN7 and has a copper rod.

I do have a RCA red base 5692, which I find to be okay. It produces a smooth sound but without as much detail on higher frequencies. Sound stage is a bit diminished both in depth and width, not a lot but noticeable. In my setup this is not a favorite of mine, but maybe in a system/room which is a bit bright, this could be a nice pairing.

My 1940s Raytheon VT-231, with bottom getter, is very good. Open and transparent. Sounds very close to my Westinghouse, perhaps a shade better. I haven't decided on this as yet.

Also a Psvane CV181-T Mark II, another "smooth" sounding 6SN7, something like the RCA 5692 but a bit more open sounding in my system. I do occasionally use this one.

Along with many Sylvania, Hytron, Ken-Rad, and more. I must have 25 or so total. The Sylvania Bad Boys are very pricey, I have found less expensive Sylvania, those with the partial Chrome Domes and bottom-chromed to sound good. Solid tubes.

My bargain recommendation, besides the Westinghouse, are Baldwin or Conn labeled Sylvanias. I occasionally see these at around $20. They are decent tubes.

I have listened to all of these in two different Inspire amps, a KT88 Hot Rod and a PSE. Their characteristics are about the same in each amp.
Bombadil, I tried the Westinghouse and Raytheon tubes you mentioned and agree they are more open and have more detail on higher frequencies than the 5692. To me the Raytheon is a tad better than the Westinghouse. The Psvane is certainly no slouch, especially for a new manufactured tube. Have you tried a Tung-Sol 6SU7? It adds a little more sparkle in the high frequencies than the Raytheon or the Westinghouse, although they have become quite pricey.