Thread: Unexpected Hum
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2022, 06:39 PM
Semi-audiophile

There is another piece to the puzzle which I just realized (literally). Could the main issue be the power supply itself, not the power cords? I didn't have this problem with either of my previous tables, a VPI HW-19 Mk IV and a Dual CS-5000 before that. What those tables have in common is internal power supplies. The hum was the worst with the SOTA's power supply next to my cable box; having put it back where it was before seems the major factor in the improvement. The differences after re-orienting the TT's cord weren't as substantial by comparison.

I'd like to see if I can get rid of the hum completely, even if I won't hear it (most likely) when I play records. I know it's there now, and that's going to annoy me. I hope to find a spot for the power supply that's as far away as possible from other equipment chassis and yet practical; that may not be easy due to the system setup, but I'll give it a shot. And I'll still re-orient the tonearm cable, and take a look at those Shunyatas maybe, if nothing works. They look like they can do a decent job of separating cables. Do they do a good job with interconnects too?
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 12-02-2022 at 06:41 PM.