View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I've never heard the RS5. Before the SAMs, I had his Super 7 XRS (original bigger cab) with both RS7V (no whizzer) and RS7A (alnicos). There was no contest for me. The Alnicos had much more depth, texture, smoothness. The ferrites were too hot for my tastes.

If there isn't some risk (for you to assess), you could try an XLR to RCA adapter and feed the 4 volts to the pre. If the DAC has an attenuator, you could even dial that back to somewhere between 2 and 4 v.

However, I only recently have found configuration that gives me enough slam with classical. Without the mid-woofers, I never experienced it. Orchestral music had been interesting, but once I got the mid-woofers dialed in, I started choosing classical more often. I think it is quite difficult to get proper sound with full orchestra. Until I heard it, I never new what was possible.

I wish there was some way we could hear each other's systems. Maybe we will get some virtual reality transmission capability in our lifetimes (if not transporter beams!)
That is the simple truth and why it is almost impossible to recommend tubes, etc. None of us have the same system or room. I'm happy with the I have.