View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatadan View Post
I did some reading of the owner’s manual of the Magnepan’s and it states Nominal 4 ohms, so I moved the taps back to the 4ohm tap.

What I am not sure about is why there seemed to be more highs from the 8 ohm tap but deeper bass from the 4 ohm ? If choosing the tap that matches the impedance will prevent over stressing the amplifier, I will now just leave it at 4 ohms.

Charles’s your explanation helpful and does explain why many years ago , the MC302 I had in the past , was over heating at the 8 ohm tap on the Magnepan’s.

When I worked at stereo shop, I sold McIntosh many years but I am not an engineer.

Dan
all speakers and amplifiers can handle 4 an 8 ohms. an amplifier should not be getting hotter at 8 ohms than it does at 4. the lower the ohms the more current and power the amplifier will produce, thats why you have better bass at 4 than 8, more current drive and control of the lower end.
if you have more "highs" at 8ohm than at 4 its more than likely because you have less bass and control at 8 ohms and the highs are more noticeable, etc