View Single Post
Old 12-10-2021, 01:21 PM

To clarify what I wrote before, and to respond to Greg and YB-2--I appreciate that editorial style can be frustrating, but I pretty much agree with JA. The B&W 800 series are great speakers, and should be auditioned by any buyer in the $10-20K price range. But there is more "treble energy" than most of the competition, and this will be a problem for some.

One of the puzzles of our hobby is that even very good, very expensive products often have weaknesses compared to products that are not nearly as good overall. My 805s are way better than my B&W CM-1s, which are still very good speakers, just a step or two down the food chain. But the CM-1s do not have the excess treble energy issue. The 805s are kind of like a Porsche compared to the CM-1 Honda-level speaker. The "Honda" is not in the same league, but has some obvious advantages wrt livability.