View Single Post
Old 08-30-2021, 09:38 PM

I've owned both a P10 and a Koetsu, and while both are very nice sounding, I'm not sure I would use them together.

The P10 is lean, fast, dramatic and a little bright. The Koetsu is warm, full, emphasising tone over detail or speed. As has been mentioned above, they are a bit of a clash of ideologies. If you like the speed and dynamics of the P10, the Koetsu does not seem a natural choice.

Also, Koetsus are fairly low compliance MCs and prefer heavier arms. They will not sound their best in a medium mass arm, like the Rega, and will probably lack a bit of bass weight and depth.

I would also be surprised if the Koetsu is only 14mm tall - I suspect you would need a 2mm spacer, but that in itself should not be an issue.

If not using a Rega cartridge, I think something like a Dynavector XX2 or Ortofon Cadenza would be a better match. I personally think the Cadenza Black or Bronze on a Rega turntable is one of those great matches in audio.

That said, a Koetsu on a Rega should still sound good - if carefully set up - but I suspect that the combination would not bring out the best in either.