View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 12:53 PM

The 801D4 came in place of the 800D2. I will try and simplify my findings, just in case someone is interested. The new generation is easier to drive, can play much louder without strain, is less sensitive to placement (it requires careful positioning, but not in nanometres as the D2 required) and much more musical. It serves a greater amount of detail and information but in a way that it involves you more into the music, without being annoying. The distracting and attention grabbing treble is gone, now it is balanced and perfectly blended. The bass is amazing! Deep, articulate, extended, fast and never overpowering. I get the impression that it is much bigger speaker now (which is not). I have the 802D3 in another system (next room), so it is pretty easy to compare with the 801D4. The 802D3 is a lovely speaker, great value! But now compared to 801 D4 seems a bit off balance and hate to say, inarticulate. Still joyful, but it takes at least 40 minutes to wear-off the D4 effect. The D4 is still a B&W Diamond sound, they did not lose the essence, but now it is much more sofisticated, lush and inviting sound. I do not want to sound over enthusiastic, but 801D4 is a top of the line loudspeaker.

Last edited by 4music; 01-17-2022 at 01:04 PM.