View Single Post
Old 02-05-2022, 03:55 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
I realize this is pretty low end equipment for most of you, but thought maybe you had been there in the past and could offer an educated opinion. Keep in mind my budget is VERY limited (under $1K)

I am getting into streaming music. Currently using Amazon Music Unlimited which provide HD and Ultra HD. My current setup is using a Mac Mini USB uotput to a Schiit Modi 3+ into my MX130. Here are my questions for an improvement in sound

1. replace the Mac Mini with a Bluesound NODE (either using the internal DAC or run it through the MODI?
2. Keep the Mac Mini and upgrade the Schiit MODI to something else?
3. Run a different brand Streamer than the NODE?

Thx
So, just help me understand as your post is somewhat ambiguous....you are streaming using a Mac Mini as your music server and then connecting directly via a USB cable to a Schitt Modi 3 DAC, is that correct?

If so, the problem is you're connecting a very dirty device (the Mac Mini) directly to your DAC, and all that implies (and I could write a graduate thesis on the problems this presents). So...that is a BIG no-no.

My advice would be:

1) Keep the Schiit Modi 3 DAC. Nothing wrong with that.

2) locate your Mac Mini well away from your Schiit Modi 3 DAC that is in your audio rack.

3) Get a Sonore microRendu network bridge or iFi Zen Streamer for $399. If you can't afford the microRendu or iFi Zen, get a Raspberry Pi4 instead.

4) Connect the Mac Mini (that is located somewhere else other than the audio rack) to your router or network access point with a Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable.

4) Also connect the microRendu network bridge or the iFi Zen Streamer to your network with a Shunyata Venom Ethernet cable. If you can't afford that, use a Supra Cat 8 Ethernet cable.

5) Connect the network bridge or streamer to your DAC with a quality, audiophile-grade USB cable*.

*–Bonus upgrade: If it's in your budget, use a Shunyata Delta USB cable to connect the microRendu or iFI Zen to the Modi 3. It will smoke everything else in it's price class and above, up to about $1500.

These changes will make for a big improvement in audio quality.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 02-05-2022 at 04:12 AM.