View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 07:57 PM
George

I compared the Single AES with USB on my system (DAC: Sim Moon 650D with 820S power supply). I switched a couple times. I switched back to the AES both times quickly. I know from experience this indicates the AES sounds better... although it would take a lot of critical listening to figure out the details of the differences. That is not worth my time, I’ll just use the AES for now.

As always I was hoping the Ethernet cable would not make a difference. Theoretically it shouldn’t (how many times in the last 50 years I have said that... and it has never been right). But I am eternally the optimist. I have an WiFi extender plugged into an outlet next to my system... how could the last two meters matter? I upgraded from cheap Ethernet cord to a DH Labs 2 meter Ethernet cable. Instant significant improvement. Noise floor dropped further allowing more space around instruments. A more obvious difference than AES vs USB in my system (as must always be the qualification as everyone’s systems are different and each are complex system). Sometimes I just wish something wouldn’t matter. But it always does.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.