View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755a View Post
Those little speakers are not easy to drive. Well not easy for a low watt tube amp. It will be fine at low levels but you can't push it as you said. This observation has nothing to do with the EL tube but it's to do with you speakers, I can drive my very efficient Altec 604e to ear splitting levels with my 4 watt EL 84 amp. With no distortion.
The Luxman is 12 watts but with good reserves. No, I can't drive loud rock to fill the room with the Minis, but even though they're not terribly efficient, they're not very big either. This is a second system and I can certainly play at reasonable volume levels, especially classical chamber and jazz, which is what I mostly listen to on this little system. I save the big works and big volume for my main system. I suspect Glenn will have no trouble at all with his Focals.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2