View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 07:58 AM

Botill - there are several inexpensive well-tested endpoints out there. These speak ethernet at the input and USB at the output. Raspberry Pi with Ropiee, Sonore, SoTM Neo, ... even some far more expensive units are based on the Raspberry Pi.

I use the SotM Neo with Roon into a Chord DAC. The SoTM is well made, compact, runs very cool, just works. But does not outperform the Raspberry Pi4 if you want to roll your own and save a few $$ (besides it could be fun!)

USB can be very tricky if you are not familiar with it. Fine details on the circuit board physical layout are very important, especially at the higher speeds - ask me how I know. These can cause all sorts of seemingly random behaviors. From the symptoms above, it may be that the McIntosh system has issues such as these.
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.

Last edited by clpetersen; 08-25-2022 at 08:09 AM.