Thread: JBL-m9500
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2023, 03:01 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

As you may have gathered from my Mahler thread, I love large scale orchestral music - symphonic music - from all ages and particularly from the late 19th Century through the 20th Century.

Here is a recording of the M9500s I made in my room with a phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbYMCAhyWyU

Shostakovich Sym. 8, Movement 3 (Allegro non troppo)
Haitink with Concertgebouw Orchestra
Vinyl: London Digital LDR 71121 also Decca SXDL 7621

This work was written in summer 1943. The Battle of Stalingrad took place 7/1942 - 2/1943, Hitler wanted to defeat the Russians in that area and seize the lucrative Caucasus oilfields. In terms of loss of life the cost wa extremely high on both sides with Soviet military casualties estimated near 1.1 million with 40,000 civilian deaths.

The Eighth had the nickname of the Stalingrad Symphony. The third movement can be interpreted as a battle or as East German director Kurt Sanderling wrote as "the crushing of the individual" by the Soviet system. It finally erupts into a "massive climax of self-destruction" ( That quote I got from Wikipedia.) Iirc, Shostakovich said he wrote it for or because of civilian suffering.

One might say this work is more about survival than victory. Because of that it was of little use by Soviet propagandists and was banned in Russia for several years by the Soviet regime, re-emerging in 1956.

To know Shostakovich's music is partly to know Soviet/Russian history

You probably want at least to use desktop speakers for this.