View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 06:20 PM

Thought both these sounded great (please excuse dodgy iphone photography) above is the Gold Series 845 integrated and below is the new Line Magnetic DAC.

The LM Dac reminded me quite a bit of the Lampizator level 4 which was also in the rack... at half the price it was making some pretty marvellous music. As the LMs were not long in it is difficult to say much more than that... would definitely put it on a digital audition list if you love the glow of valves. If I hadn't just got in a new DAC recently I'd have been quite keen myself.

But the amp was the real winner of the two... won me over straight away and I personally much preferred it to the 300B integrated by Line Magnetic but that's just a valve preference... either way its purely extraordinary value in valves.

Initially listened to it straight as an integrated and you could hear the deep space the 845 SET created and that musical immediacy it has... then later using it with a Shindo up front and the Shindo pre just turns it into a much livelier and more beguiling proposition again and makes this quite a magical combo.... wish they did a straight stereo version of the 845 amp. Very stylish looks in real life as well... very cool looking bit of gear. Not too retro and nice warm looking mix of metals and the gloss white valve covers.

Listened to both the Devore 0/93 and 0/96 with the Line Magnetics... despite some slight hesitation I have on the balance each time I hear the 0/96 it is such a great speaker in most every other way that while the 93's are great value the bigger brother is just the perfect match for the Line Magnetic electronics... just throw in a Shindo pre and press play.

The thing that amazes me is this gear is less dollars than my first valve gear that I bought back in the 80's and it is so musical. Great time for valves atm.

G
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (87.7 KB, 456 views)