View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
LMAO.........were you a former 'snake oil' salesmen in the circus ?
Perhaps you're fairly new to the way planar speakers work. Bass response is largely a function of radiating area. The CLX bass panel is 11.5" x 57" for a total of 656 square inches.

By comparison, my U-1s each have 2200 square inches of radiating area. The steel tubular frame alone weighs more than a CLX for a total of 250 lbs. As a true full range design, there are not separate frequency specific panels. The entire face of the diaphragm delivers bass. Using a forest of bass traps and much experimentation, I get very good measurable results: +/- 1.5 db from 30 hz to 200 hz using third octave tones. Indeed, it drops rapidly below 30 hz, but that is good enough for a 16' foot organ pedal.

They come in larger sizes, too. The 945 is a nine foot tall version delivering a 45 degree radiating angle. Because they are single diaphragm designs and they have controlled directivity, you can build arrays for even lower response and higher output without sacrificing coherency. Ray Kimber displayed some large arrays at RMAF a while back using triple 922s. I think double 945s would be sufficient for most purposes.

Double 922s at CES

Triple 922s at RMAF