View Single Post
Old 06-25-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sMac View Post
What does "...run it 'headless' with an iPad," mean? Do you have an ethernet setup at home?

Running the Mac mini headless means that I am controlling my Mac mini with my iPhone or iPad rather than using a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I can do this because I have set up my Mac mini to be a Roon Core and Roon has an app available which allows one to control the Roon Core with an iPhone or iPad. This is very convenient and allows me tuck the Mac mini away and out of sight. To learn more about this, Roon has a tutorial on their website that explains how their software works.

As far as Ethernet, I have the Mac mini hard wired to my wifi router via an Ethernet cable. The Mac mini is then connected to my Simaudio DAC via a USB cable.

A couple things to note. I only use my Mac mini as a Roon Core and do not use it for anything else. Also, before running the Mac mini headless like this, be sure to set up the Roon software on the Mac mini to auto start on startup otherwise you’ll either have to reattach the monitor, keyboard, and mouse or screen share into the Mac mini every time the power cycles just to start the Roon software. In case you don’t know what screen sharing is, it means that one can use another computer to basically take over the Mac mini and then use the other computer’s monitor, keyboard, and mouse to control the Mac mini. And finally, if you don’t have wifi in your home, I don’t believe you can run your Mac mini headless like this to control the Roon software with an iPhone or iPad.