View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsT View Post
I have actually heard this from quite a few different places. And of course experts tend to steer you in a certain direction. I think it has become a stereotype that has stuck. I am thrilled to hear that it is simply misinformation.
Yes, I understand. But all opinions need to be mitigated and balanced by the possible financial interests of the opinion source.

Seriously, I have absolutely NO idea how anyone could come up with such an opinion. Those opinions may be honest opinions but there must have been some other factor at work. There is nothing wrong with the speaker playing any genre of music. And in our opinion, (all the employees here at SR) the Harbeth specifically excels in a full and rich bass response that is paramount to a really good rock & roll speaker. Dynamics are excellent and they can play extremely loudly without strain or distress. Specifically, I would pair them with a good solid-state amplifier 200+ watts/ch.

There are other "common knowledge" non-facts out there about these speakers. One of them is that the cabinet was designed intentionally to resonate. Ridiculous. The cabinet is extremely well damped. So as it is with other audio products that have been around for some time - fake news does exist and once it starts it is difficult to correct it. I would listen to the people that actually have the speaker and have the ability to use them with a variety of associated equipment.

I have NO financial interest or personal relationship with Harbeth. Actually I think the designer's opinion on speaker cables is ludicrous. This is an interesting opinion given the fact that they actually use a very good quality of internal wire. Yes, I have taken the speaker apart and have made some minor improvements so that is not opinion or guess work. Additionally, the quality of the crossover elements are also of very high quality.

I have owned many, many speakers over the years. Very few of them are memorable. The Harbeth 40.2 is a truly impressive speaker.