View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCityUSA View Post
No, i have not. I live in a small city several hours away from any significant listening rooms. I am stuck buying unheard based on forum posts. The triode masters were stretching my budget. The Turbos fit a little better. I am possibly going another direction with my shopping. More on that to come.
I know...hear ya, kinda sucks. While online forums are helpful, everyone has different gear, rooms, subjective, and everyone hears a bit differently. Yep, the glory days of going into your local hi-fi are so limited because they only cary a few brands any more - if any local shops exist in your area. And, it's too expensive for them to keep big inventories. Order-on-demand and try is limiting too. While some mfg direct 45 day returns help some, shipping costs become prohibitive if it's on the buyer to pay return shipping in most cases.

hahah, hate to admit but sometimes resort to good headphones and listening closely to a few HD videos on Youtube to get some ideas but still need to get 'em home to try. I'm working with a mfg group now letting me try/demo some projects soon.

Our local hi-fi-shop celebrated 50 years last year. Last of 20+ stores closed in our area compared to what we had in the late 70s and 80s, really miss all that. Those were the days.

Last edited by decooney; 02-24-2018 at 02:36 PM.