View Single Post
Old 08-28-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
How about a review of the new Dennis speakers? The look great, but how do they sound?
Hi Glenn. Listening is so subjective that I'm not sure I can give it universal justice. I know that Dennis designed a contour network in his single driver speakers in order to match to some of his SEP/SET amps. Don't take this as gospel, but if I understood correctly the contour network adds a bit more emphasis for the upper and lower frequencies, and is custom tailored for the single driver. These speakers have some electronics in the bottom, I assume that it's for crossover, but not sure if he worked his magic in this pair or not.

These speakers are open back and have a pair of 10 inch drivers, along with a silk dome tweeter. A friend and I paid a visit to Dennis a couple of weeks back in order to pick up one of the first 7C5 SEP amps that he made. While he was auditioning the amp, he had two different pairs of speakers that he had in the front room. I was amazed at the bass response that was coming from the vinyl. He was toggling between my new 7C5 amp and a new 2A3 SEP amp that he made last month.

With the open back, it appeared to fill the entire room up there. My listening room isn't nearly as wide, and I'm cramped for space so I had to stick the new speakers a bit further in than I want, but I wanted to keep my Infinity Prelude PF-Rs in there as well.

I loved the larger sound that I was hearing in these speakers (compared to my towers), and the silk dome is extremely crisp and keeps up with the best of them. I was so impressed with them, that I talked Dennis and Allan to sell them to me. They sound extremely balanced and musical to me. I felt I had to duplicate what I was hearing there at my place. I think they're phenomenal, but again, sound is so subjective and personal. At least they 'moved' me, and I ended up moving them to my listening room.

By the way, the friend that was with me was also impressed with not only the speakers, but also the 2A3 SEP amp. He purchased it as well. So I'm not sure what greater endorsement I could have other than feeling that I had to have them.

Last edited by Hoosier Hi-Fi; 08-31-2022 at 11:21 PM.