View Single Post
Old 01-06-2022, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
While I do not have one of Dennis' new amps, I do listen to his 20wpc Class A PP Cary Rocket 88. I've rolled GL KT88s, GEC KT88s, GL KT77s, Tung-Sol 7581a & Tung-Sol EL34s. All have sounded great and I have listed them in the order I prefer them, though I would say if I gave them a rating out of 100 they would be 100, 99, 98, 98 & 97. The KT88s sound a bit more 'powerful' while the others all have a slightly sweeter mid-range for vocals. They are so close that I can happily listen to any of them.
This is true for many of my tube sets. If I were starting again I would not buy as many as I have now. While there have been a few which I would place into a second tier, for the most part many sound similar. My KT88, KT120 & KT150 are very close. The GL KT66 & KT77 sound a bit different, a bit more "open" and a bit less power in the deep bass. My vintage 6CA7 are a tad warmer. All are very listenable.

My slew of other tubes don't sound quite as live/natural but many produce a pleasant sound, some more like a smaller venue stage or somewhat less high frequency detail. There are days when I like that, a more relaxing presentation. But even then it isn't a "night and day" difference.

I'd like to hear new Tung-sol 7581a as descriptions sound like I might like them. But to drop another $120 or so on yet another set of tubes just to satisfy my curiosity seems foolish. Same goes for spending big bucks to pick up vintage Mullard EL34 or Tung-sol 6550. I'm very happy with my current tubes.