View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Semi-audiophile

The Amperex tubes have now been in the line stage section for a month plus a few days. Most of that listening has been with the tuner and more to put hours on the tubes than anything else. My 301 is still out, so there's been no CD. Last week I finally put in my back-up Marantz DV8400 (a universal player, purchased as a CD player in late 2003). It also has a new WW Stratus 7 power cord, so no conclusions there. I think I should try that Yes DVD again to see if it sounds the same to me. Last night The Avengers sounded good. The Soundgarden track playing over the closing credits has some low end punch that I don't remember hearing before.

Playing records has been a treat so far. I've played only a few sides, but heard an openness that's appealing, plus (my magic bullet) details I hadn't heard (or don't recall hearing). This was especially apparent with Close to the Edge, an album I'm very familiar with. This is also through a 20-year old Aragon 47k phono preamp with the IPS power supply; this has inspired thoughts of the Parasound JC-3, not a good thing right now, but they creep in occasionally.

My overall impression is that the Amperex tubes are more open than the JJs. I'm inclined to leave the Amperex tubes in the line stage until I get my 301 back and then give those two a chance to get acquainted.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks