View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 03:52 PM

Smile Diy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbgbill View Post
My Mac introduction was in the late 70's I guess. I had for many years a great little Sansui receiver that I bought from an old Austin, Tx shop High Fidelity. That shop is long gone now but when I decided to get really serious, I went back there and listened to several systems. The one that really impressed me was the Mac. After a discussion with the wife, I got a bank loan to buy a C29, MC2205 and MR78. I also had different tape players from Tandberg. My TT was a Thorens with SME toner and Ortofon MC cartridge. I had a phono preamp for the MC but no clue what that was. At some point I had a RTR but I cannot remember the brand. As time moved on, I went digital and traded all of my vinyl in for CD's and sold all of my Mac system. I ended up with Nakamichi which long ago was sold. My cd's got stored and sat idle till two years ago. After retiring I decided to get back into audio seriously again. I researched and decided to go Mac again simply because I loved the sound. I know Mac went through some difficult times but they are still made in the US. Since returning to audio and Mac, I have upgraded from a integrated to separates with a tube preamp. Soon I will have mono blocks. I also got back to vinyl and have purchased several albums I regrettably sold or traded many years ago. It's just a journey but a fun one given what has gone on in the world the last year. Next week I will be making my own DIY power cords.
Thanks for sharing your Mac story, Bill. As I stated in the opening paragraph of this thread, you deserve high praise for being such a loyal McIntosh fan.

When you get some time for it, would you share some more details about how you plan to fabricate your own custom power cords? Perhaps a thread on the build is in order?

Thanks again ~ Bill

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections