Thread: Transformer hum
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB
I partially answered this in an earlier post and I was going to post more information in the Personal Introductions forum, but realized that I can't start a thread until I have a few more posts under my belt. So I'll take advantage of this thread to get a bit more information out there.

I have been playing around with high end audio for 30 years, since I was in college, so I have accumulated lots of equipment over the years. I still have quite a few items tucked away in various closets that I occasionally pull out for rotation. I tend to favor vintage electronics, which can be tube or solid state. I have two main systems that I use day to day.

The Shindo Apetite is in the family room and runs with the Reference 3A speakers mentioned in the earlier post. I also feed it with a restored Kenwood KT-7500 tuner and a Squeezebox Touch for digital, driving various DACs. Right now I've got a homebrew DAC based on the Twisted Pair Buffalo kit. No vinyl in this system right now, but I'm thinking about restoring a Lenco turntable to use here.

I've also got some Horning Eufrodite speakers in the living room, which I drive with single ended amps - either 2A3 or VT-25. The VT-25 are from Sun Audio while the 2A3s are homebrew versions of the Baby Ongaku design. I'm driving this with a restored Threshold FET-10 preamp and a Pass Labs ONO phono stage. Turntable is a Thorens TD-524, which is a sister to the EMT938 - a very well regarded direct drive turntable.

---Gary
Gary,

That is funny. I just bought an Apetite that will be in the living room and I will use it with a Squeeze Box for only digital playback !
What are those Reference 3A speakers ?
I'm thinking about DeVore Gibbon 3XL for the Apetite. Based on what Matt says on his web site and on the 6 moons Blue Moon Award. Will be a blind buying cause I would have to go to Netherlands or UK to listen to them.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado