Thread: Transformer hum
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Turned out my cabinet is the culprit. When I put the Aurieges on another surface, the hum is almost completely gone, only audible < 2 feet.

I tightened down all the screws on the bottom of the chassis, it helped a bit. Now the hum has decreased by about 20% or so when sitting on my cabinet. I'll have to live with that.
Tommy,
I don't know about the Aurieges, but on Apetite, it's not the screws on the bottom of the chassis that need to be tightened. One needs to take off the bottom chassis plate and then tighten down the screws that hold down the power transformer. These were the screws that got loose during shipping my amp. Just be careful when/if you take off the bottom cover. Make sure that you've unplugged the unit and given time for all the high voltage caps to discharge. It only takes a minute or two for the caps to discharge.

The other thing you can try is putting something that is soft/compliant between the Aurieges and the cabinet. Some soft feet might be the ticket to stop your preamp from shaking the cabinet. I've used sorbothane feet with a noisy turntable motor and Vibrapod feet on equipment in the past with good results.

---Gary