View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
I have listened to the Mac 501's extensively in my system twice and really wanted to love them. It does nothing wrong but IMO it does not approach the musically that the cj amps do. I much preferred the 2 x mc 2102's as they had a bit of soul. But ultimately the big 275 watt prem 8a's with Teflon caps are comfortably better.
As good as the prem350 is the LP 275's would do everything they do and then some. Something about very large tube amps that no ss amps can reach. I sold my prem350 and kept the Teflon prem 8a's. I must admit, I would like a prem350 as a ss alternative, especially in Summer, but at the time could not afford to keep both.The LP 275's are better in every respect to their smaller brothers IMO. The smaller stereo tube amps are more intimate in their musical projection.You do need somewhat full range speakers to appreciate what the large cj big dogs can do.Choices, choices, choices
Thank you for a very helpful response. Jeff (aka Tonepub) has commented that the LP275s sounds just like the LP70s but with more power. At first I read that as it sounds the same but can't play as loud. Now having read your comment, I think that he meant more than that, essentially, what you are saying about them doing things the smaller amps simply can't do. That has been my experience whenever I listen to powerful amps, at all listening volumes. The image is just more palpable and emphatic. Given my budget constraints, it will come down to tradeoffs. The real problem for me is that CJ does not make a SS power amp in the same price range as the Classic 60SE, ie., under -$5K. I could go used, but my experience with used has not been as good as it has been for many others on this board. So that has lead me to look at the Mac 320. I did read up on it, and it has had love it - hate it reviews by the devoted Mac fans. I'll have to give it a listen, along with the LP70s, which I have not heard.