View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiliberti View Post
Thanks oldjays, and welcome also. I do think it has come come down to either a Prem. 350 or an ET-250s among CJ. At the risk of hijacking my own thread and offending my good CJ buddies, a friend recommended that if I go SS, I might consider a McIntosh 302, which is a little more in my price range than the Prem 350 or ET250S (Mac 302 is new @ $5500, and used for quite a bit less if you can find one.) With my CJ preamp, it could be a pretty sweet setup. I'm really not that familiar with Mac, but I listened to their $6000-range integrated amp a while back, and it has a sound I like, not as sweet as CJ, but much more to my taste than ARC. Any thoughts on on going with a SS Mac Amp anyone?
I have listened to the Mac 501's extensively in my system twice and really wanted to love them. It does nothing wrong but IMO it does not approach the musically that the cj amps do. I much preferred the 2 x mc 2102's as they had a bit of soul. But ultimately the big 275 watt prem 8a's with Teflon caps are comfortably better.

As good as the prem350 is the LP 275's would do everything they do and then some. Something about very large tube amps that no ss amps can reach. I sold my prem350 and kept the Teflon prem 8a's. I must admit, I would like a prem350 as a ss alternative, especially in Summer, but at the time could not afford to keep both.

The LP 275's are better in every respect to their smaller brothers IMO. The smaller stereo tube amps are more intimate in their musical projection.
You do need somewhat full range speakers to appreciate what the large cj big dogs can do.

Choices, choices, choices