View Single Post
Old 04-15-2023, 01:39 PM
Semi-audiophile

Part of the reason a separate phono pre came back around is the memory that my C2300 has been repaired twice, in 2013 (in warranty) and 2016 (just out of warranty). That second one was the result of one too many ungrounded touches to the unit; the static fried the motherboard, apparently. I didn't have the 2300 for about 2–3 weeks, but rather than take the LS3 out, I just went without music. I could do that again I suppose, but would rather not.

PeterMusic is correct: the C2300, like all Mac units, is supposed to have a more than decent phonostage. If I were to buy something, it would need to be as good as the 2300 or a little better, because I would put the new phonostage into the system and use it now, not buy and put it aside to use only with the LS3 if needed.

I also haven't been playing vinyl much, not since last summer, so it's odd that I'd get back on the phonostage train so suddenly. I'm trying to think ahead. Maybe my first step is to reacquaint myself with the C2300's phonostage while both researching phonostage contenders and looking at finances; a 3-pronged approach. Maybe this happens this year, maybe not. But I want to do it right.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks