View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 01:37 PM

So I've been to the dealer and I've listened to the following headphones

Focal Clear: Immediately, it's different from my system. I guess it's the headphone effect. I can hear a lot more details, lower noise floor, better bass, great separation. I could stop there and be happy. The headphones are comfortable though a bit heavy

Focal Utopia: Let's jump another level. The sound signature is similar to the Clear but with a bit more of everything (including weight). they are sharp, they are detailled. I really enjoyed them.

Audeze LCD-X: I really enjoyed those. They are warmer than the Focal but they are lively and sharp. Amazing sound and details. The bass is there. Clear winner for me

Audeze LCD-4: Massive let down. I thought I was going up and up until now. The sound was weak, the bass was absent, it was detailed but there was no presence. One of my test track is Stimela by Masekela with a progressive drum kick at the beginning. On the previous headphones, it was a rush but here it was nowhere. I thought it was the amp being weak so we changed for a dedicated Focal headphone amp (Arche). It was a bit better but not great and trying the LCD-X again, they were clearly better for me.

If I had stopped there, I would have picked the LCD-X and created the system around them. But I had to try Stax so here we go (all on SRM-007TII)

SR-L500: very flimsy looking and I almost thought I would crush them. They seem like a toy headphone and no one would take them seriously... Until you listen to them. they are airy, detailed, black backgroup, quite comfortable for the shape. Now those are amazing headphones and a cut above the rest.

SR-007 MKII: Slightly better than the L500, much more comfortable but struggling to hear a strong difference. At that point I was running out of time but I would have liked to spend more time comparing to the L500 and maybe even try the L700

SR-009: What can I say? The only headphone to give me goosebumps while listening to Summertime by Ella and Louis. The drum kick on Stimela seemed to last forever and becoming more and more menacing. You could hear the fingers on trumpet on Moanin'. I could have stayed there for a very long time.

Since it would be a new system and I would have to buy an amp anyway, having to buy the energiser for the Stax is not an additional cost in my case. The headphones would be about the same price as the speaker cables and they will last me for a long time.

I think my choice is made ... Now what do I pair them with ?