View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgiliberti View Post
Thanks oldjays, and welcome also. I do think it has come come down to either a Prem. 350 or an ET-250s among CJ. At the risk of hijacking my own thread and offending my good CJ buddies, a friend recommended that if I go SS, I might consider a McIntosh 302, which is a little more in my price range than the Prem 350 or ET250S (Mac 302 is new @ $5500, and used for quite a bit less if you can find one.) With my CJ preamp, it could be a pretty sweet setup. I'm really not that familiar with Mac, but I listened to their $6000-range integrated amp a while back, and it has a sound I like, not as sweet as CJ, but much more to my taste than ARC. Any thoughts on on going with a SS Mac Amp anyone?
I think Mac makes good equipment. I believe it also depends on what it is paired with to give one the sound they are searching. In an all Mac system, to me it is too rolled off for my liking and I have heard some Mac equipment that was just too bright. Again, it all depends on what is in the entire chain that will ultimately make the sound. It is a balance and I assume you are like most of us and do not have an "open" checkbook full of money to pick and choose the best of the best.

I would love to hear the LP275's but I have not and I am afraid I would like it a lot and start selling body parts to fund that purchase. I purchased the Premier 350 used and incredibly cheap. I saw it on a'gon and jumped on it. At the time I could not afford it either but it was under $5000 so it was credit card damage to get it. I then sold the LP70S to pay off most of that.

My issue is, I drive a tough load in speaker and the LP70 did a great just but something was missing and that was power. I have Martin Logan CLSiiZ speakers and they can dip a bit below 2 ohms at times. The Premier 350 says OK I can do that. I am sure the LP274 would be great but out of reach at the moment. I would like a GAT also but that is a bit out of reach too. I have an ACT2 Series 2 with NOS tubes so it is no slouch either.

I wish you the best of luck. No matter you get I am sure it will sound great. Remember it is for you not "envy" of others. Get what you can afford and get the best of that and you will be happy.

Jeff