View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMC View Post
My thoughts on turntable dust covers were formed back in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. I was really into making cassette tapes for friends and myself copying records of the day, mostly rock ‘n roll. Made quite a few RTR tapes for local bars, as well. Quickly learned that lowering the ‘table dustcover after starting the recording process was all too audible as a thump so I started listening more closely. My modest system at the time included Large Advents, Pioneer SX 1980, Sony PS-X6 ‘table with a Shure V15 cartridge and a Yamaha Natural Sound cassette machine, the model number which escapes me but it all made good sounding tapes. Closer listening to the finished recordings informed me of another dustcover foible. It became obvious that the recordings sounded much better with the dustcover open. Closed, the sound became smaller, more closed in, duh. Left the cover open for all further listening/recording and haven’t had a ‘table with an attached cover since. The experience also led to a lifetime of believing little things are worth paying attention to.
Quite possible that vibrations were worse when the dustcover was making full contact across the surface rather than the two tabs in the open position. One never knows with these things that can not be seen nor readily measured by the audiophile other than the ear.