View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Ok, bad choice of words. When I used "possible," I was thinking that it might depend upon specific setups, or whether or not it was something audible when it happened. I don't think I have the ears to tell, myself. I do know that before the Gingko, I couldn't play records with confidence, or had to tiptoe around to a ridiculous degree out of concern over causing a nasty skip of my tonearm. And it happened often despite my care. Suspended floors aren't a TT's friend.
The various platforms, Ginko being one of them, is great at isolating from floor-borne vibrations. It is between the floor and the TT essentially. The vibration is trapped/absorbed to the best of the platforms ability. Nothing other than the best active platforms designed for scanning microscopes and other high precision instruments can be 100% effective. I simply don’t belive it. But it is often more than good enough.

The lids however are attached to the TT itself and as such, they will pass the micro vibrations right into the TT and that completely bypasses anything under the TT. The vibration will first travel through the TT before it will interact with the platform. Opposite effect and completely useless in this case.

I’m sure the vibrations can be measured but in terms of being audible, no doubt it will manifest itself through a TT/arm/cartridge much more so than any other component we like to isolate. The stylus riding in the micro groove is not a DAC with no moving or sensitive to vibration parts.